Notion of order

When I started the MScEL I found I was confronted by various areas and log ins to access the material, with a variety of entry points. After a time I began to know which was the best point of access for the material I needed – I learned the route to the information I needed [...]

3 Comments ,

Representation

Culture is represented in many formats, and these formats have changed over time but still remian essentially a imitation or replication of an original idea. Kress & van Leeuwen, (1996) a) that communication is always and inevitably multimodal; and (b) that each of the modes available for representation in a culture provides speciļ¬c potentials and [...]

1 Comments , , , ,

low-tech “v” hi-tech

Often we think hi-tech is better, it is the future, it is fast and efficient and sleek and has something added to it. Watch for example this video of Snowboarders in the Alps – the addition of neon lighting in the dark makes it amazing – it would have been amazing without it but it [...]

0 Comments , , , ,

Week 2 Summary – The cyberspace imaginary

My Blog and my mind this week has been on a journey. The films we watched in week 1 left me feeling a kind of mistrust of technological advances as though greater surveillance would lead to greater control and therefore a move from the real to the unreal in a way I didn’t feel happy [...]

0 Comments , , , ,

Countercultures effect on technology

This weeks readings have looked at the terminology and driving forces for technology in films and books, Bell (2001) suggested that counterculture was the force behind adaption and was influential in driving forward new technology. This is evident in recent films which have shown “futuristic” technology which has then gone on to be made in [...]

0 Comments , , , , ,

Dystopian Society

Just watched the Hunger games – fantastic film yet such a disturbing view of the impact of social hierarchy. Two kids from a poor district competing – life or death against other children for big brother style entertainment. The game controllers deciding the fate of what challenges and opportunities the children happen upon. Running man [...]

2 Comments , ,

Digital – real or unreal

I loved this advert for the Toyota GT86. I like the digital imagery, the reminiscence of playing Grand Theft Auto and the Truman Show. I thought it was interesting that it attempted to show a physical response of goose pimples in the digital characters, yet acknowledged of the lack of emotional feeling in the digital [...]

0 Comments , , ,

All that was previously solid

“Does digitised information transcend all that was previously solid?” Hand (2008) The recent demise of high street shops is indicative of Hand’s comments on the change from solid to digital. HMV and Jessops are prime examples of the change in the way people interact with technology and how it is slowly but inevitably leading to [...]

0 Comments , ,

Week 1 Summary

SO far………. I have been focusing on the idea of Utopian and Dystopian societies through film. Having recently watched Hunger games – a fantastic representation of a Dystopian society. Pitching people against themselves, with an outside agency controlling the situation to make better entertainment. There are many films which represent dystopia, and it is usually [...]

0 Comments , , , ,

Stop Dave, I’m Afraid

Stop Dave, I’m Afraid (Full) Sound Clip and Quote – Hark Stop Dave sound clip – is even more eerie without the video! This is the ultimate fear in a dystopian future – lack of control A dark dystopian future where machines have life and death control over humans, where they can read humans minds [...]

0 Comments