The space in between – is now occupied

I feel my blog has been a learning journey, establishing then questioning my original preconceptions of culture, taking them apart and rebuilding them again. I have experienced multi-model transliteracies through the blog, visual artefact and ethnography, struggled with the varying notion of order to access information. Seen the real become unreal and then made real [...]

0 Comments

“So, what would you little maniacs like to do first?”

The film feels it has come as a timely summary of this course for me (sorry tutors!) It combines the three major themes Utopia / dystopia, community and cyborg!! Weird Science was probably my first introduction to the cyborg – just re watching it with my kids – think perhaps a bit too young – [...]

0 Comments

Just who made the Harlem shake viral?

I feel duped but also incredibly naive. The Harlem shake was the fastest growing meme ever – and is now so over!!! It was a very catchy easy to replicate non offensive fun thing to replicate and many many many have been made including one I myself made with my class. The reason it became [...]

0 Comments , ,

Week 10 summary – man machine

The final week of the course – boo hoo! This week my blog has been focusing on the idea of the cyborg and whether the addition of superhuman parts makes them less human. Is this physical addition stripping the human of what Muris (2003) refers to as physical embodiment – the spirit, conciousness and identity? [...]

0 Comments , ,

Parasites

There are many references to the idea of the meme as a parasite, starting with the originator Richard Dawkins: “When you plant a fertile meme in my mind you literally parasitize my brain, turning it into a vehicle for the meme’s propagation in just the way that a virus may parasitize the genetic mechanism of [...]

0 Comments ,