Final summary

The tumblog experiment in this course essentially demonstrates how students experience  “disaggregation and reaggregation – taking things apart, scattering them across the network, and then having them put back together by the machine.” To me the tumblog experience was also about the creation of an online blogging identity through the weeks, and understanding the digital [...]

0 Comments Short URL , , , ,

Week twelve summary

This week has been devoted to researching articles and ideas for my final assignment. I started by googling for issues of posthuman identity and found the portrait of a posthuman by a visual artist.  The description of her work is useful as a starting point for reference to identity, where the human is seeking a [...]

0 Comments Short URL ,

My final assignment notes: A critique of cyborg pedagogy

Selecting an assignment topic for me has been like a shot in the dark: although the philosophical arguments on posthumanism have been really difficult to get into, I have determined to look at it in greater detail.  I started my tumblog by claiming that I want these course materials to be digestable and readable by non-experts [...]

0 Comments Short URL ,

Heidegger on Ontological Education, or: How We Become What We Are

“Real education lays hold of the soul itself and transforms it in its entirety by first of all leading us to the place of our essential being [Wesensort] accustoming us to it” (p253) “Genuine education leads us back to ourselves, to the place we are, teaches us to dwell there and transforms us in the [...]

0 Comments Short URL

A phantasmal media approach to empowerment, identity, and computation

0 Comments Short URL

Portrait of a posthuman

Who is posthuman?  This afternoon I am pondering the question of identity and agency in the posthuman world.  It seems from the description of the visual artist, the self is no longer very stable, in fact it is illusive.  Using Eva Rorandelli, the artist’s words: “frozen in awkward positions without a sense of themselves.” It [...]

0 Comments Short URL , ,

Week eleven summary

This last week’s tumblog has been focused on reviewing the various articles on Posthumanism to help shape my final assignment. I used the discussion questions to guide my reading and was only able to begin to consider question 4 in the list: What other connections might there be between cyborg theory and the pragmatics of [...]

0 Comments Short URL , , ,