I have been researching the online environment looking for a suitable topic for my internet ethnography and decided on a YouTube media artifact entitled ’Simon Shama’s Power of Art – Rothko (part 1-7).‘
I hope the study will give me a foundation for considering my future dissertation on the topic of aesthetic experiences in online spaces, as well a better understanding of the scope of virtual ethnography.
I have checked the potential ethical considerations involved and I am satisfied that there are no special issues involved.
I have not yet decided on the platform for presenting the ethnography, nor the time line.
My draft proposal for the ethnography is as follows:
I will draw observations with regards to
- the technical aspects of how the YouTube platform is accessed
- issues around the identity of the users
- the range of topics they are addressing
- the reflection on Rothko as an artist
- reflections on any topics other than Rothko as an artist
- the level of online community or subculture development
- research a suitable platform for presenting my findings.
- consider how to present the ‘work in progress’ in a timeline