BBC television centre

This is the very last day of occupancy of the iconic BBC Television Centre in West London. I was lucky enough to go for a tour of the building just a few weeks ago and amongst a myriad of fascinating elements (Pauline Fowler’s laundrette tabard included) was the news room. In the middle of the [...]

0 Comments

Wifi soup

“This whole world is swimming in wifi. We’re living in a wifi soup. Suppose something got inside it. Suppose there was something living in the wifi harvesting human minds – extracting. Imagine that.” Doctor Who,The Bells of St John, BBC1 March 30th. One of the questions for block three of the course was about whether [...]

0 Comments

Posthumanism – beyond the skin

A collection of my findings on posthumanism.

3 Comments , ,

Week 10 – review

This week has been spent (still) on posthumanism. I’ve found myself more interested in the arguments theorising posthumanism than on picturing the posthuman itself. Castree & Nash’s discussion has been enlightening and has taken me out of the subject to delve into the writings of Deleuze, Guttari, Lyotard and more. Names that I’ve come across, [...]

0 Comments

Space Invaders

After the surprise of ‘devil-gate’ during the last tutorial, I have now had The Cloud appear uninvited onto the homepage of my phone. This used to be an image for a Transport for London shortcut, which I use fairly regularly these days to get around. But one trip to M&S cafe later, and I have [...]

2 Comments , ,

In-between spaces

Badmington (2004) quoted in Castree & Nash (2004) p. 1345 praises Sarah Whatmore’s Hybrid Geographies for ‘its embrace of the in-between spaces, the moments of uncertainty, the complications and crossings that [human] geography has often repressed’. Among many binaries she finds troublesome is that of wild/tame. She questions whether an elephant at Paignton Zoo is [...]

0 Comments

Week 9 – review

This week had some of the best titles of readings on the course, covering Asian Eels, Flânerie, Academatron, Cyborgs and Shit. But intriguing titles, do not an easy text maketh! The false sense of security after reading Pickering was cruelly and categorically dashed within the first paragraph of Haraway’s Manifesto, and I spent too long [...]

0 Comments

Crafty

“…the kind of lazy but not inconsequential thinking mentioned above: namely, the kind of Fukuyaman apocalyptics whose hyperbole is ultimately so incantatory as to dull the senses.” p. 1341 Castree & Nash (2004) I think this is one of the most fantastically crafted expressions of critique  - even though I’m not yet sure whether I [...]

1 Comments

Downfall of Google Reader

“One of the structuring principles of this course – the tumblog and the learning environment itself – is about disaggregation and reaggregation – taking things apart, scattering them across the network, and then having them put back together by the machine.” ededc tumblog One of the tools I have used for this is Google Reader, and [...]

4 Comments

Möbius strip

“The Möbius strip has several curious properties. A line drawn starting from the seam down the middle will meet back at the seam but at the “other side”. If continued the line will meet the starting point and will be double the length of the original strip. This single continuous curve demonstrates that the Möbius [...]

0 Comments